History of Colonel David Hall Chapter
The chapter honors Colonel
David Hall, who was born in Lewes, Delaware, in 1752. He commanded the
celebrated "Delaware Line" during the American Revolution. He was noted
for feats of bravery and strength, and was called "the Indian Fighter."
Colonel Hall was active in government in Sussex County and later served as Governor
of the state from 1802 to 1805.
The Colonel David Hall Chapter was
organized in Lewes, Delaware on September 29, 1951, by the
organizing regent, Mrs.
Franklin C. Maull, and Mrs. Edwin F. Seimes, adviser. This was the last
chapter organized in the state of Delaware.
In 1963, this
chapter purchased a home that was built
prior to the American Revolution.
The home (estimated construction date 1739)
was purchased from Vincent White, owner of the
White Packaging Company.
The David Marshall Maull family was the last family to
live in the house. This is where the name
the Maull House originated. Our
members happily took on the daunting task of restoring the home
to the original
appearance. This house is now furnished with antiques. Also, we are very
to have obtained china that belonged to Colonel David Hall; it now
graces our dining room.
In 1881, an additional wing was built onto the house. The Maull house is
included on the
of Historic Places.
We are proud to say that Mrs. Edwin F. Seimes served as
State Regent from 1956-1959 and was
later President General of the National
Society from 1968-1971.
She is the only Delawarean to hold that office.
Hall is buried in Lewes Presbyterian Church in Lewes, Delaware
more information about the Colonel David Hall Chapter please e-mail
information concerning this web site please e-mail
This website was last updated
Hall Chapter - Lewes, DE
held on the second Saturday of the month in September, October, November,
January, March, April, and May.
The Maull House is
open for The Lewes Historic Society Christmas Tours on the first Saturday of